As people get old, physiologic changes happen in elder people, especially on the bone skeleton. When physiological changes happening in the bones of the human body, it causes some health conditions like osteopenia and osteoporosis, sometimes even minor trauma may easily cause these elderly bone fracture.
So how to prevent fractures and help aged people to get away from the fracture?
Prevent osteoporosis or delay osteoporosis.
- In daily diet, aged people should eat more calcium-rich foods, such as shrimp, bean products, sesame, milk, and others. Especially milk that calcium content is relatively higher than others. If the aged person, who is at risk of osteoporosis, should drink a cup of hot milk every night. This is not only to help improving sleep quality but also better than calcium tablets. The elderly with better economic conditions can also take some healthcare production that contains calcium, omega-3.
- The elderly should often go out for a walk and do some physical exercise. Sunbathing can synthesize more vitamin D because vitamin D can promote the absorption of calcium.
- The elderly should regulate daily life rhythm, maintain a happy mood. Get rid of some bad habits, such as smoking, drinking alcohol, house-biding habits, because these bad habits are easy to induce osteoporosis.
Prevent sudden accidents happen.
The Elderly usually move slowly, they also have poor strain capacity and poor physical activity coordination. If aged people also have the risk of stroke, heart and kidney problems, more prone to accidents and falls. The clinical data showed that the fall is the direct reason for bone fracture in the most elderly population, so we should reduce the living environment of the hidden trouble of safety in aged people.
- The room temperature of the elderly should be maintained at around 20-25 degrees so that the elderly can reduce dressing, it helps they can do some activity more flexibly.
- The light of the stairs should be more bright than usual in the house. The bathroom floor should be non-slippery and should keep dry. The bathroom and the toilet next to install the handle for the elderly to use.
- The elderly should not wear slippers. Rough bottom shoes are more suitable for them. Threshold should not too high and the living room furniture should be stable.
- The aged people should not go out on rainy days.
- Elderly people if feel uncomfortable, they should go to see a doctor in time.
This article was written by me several years ago. My English level was so poor in that period.